2019 is well underway and a brand-new year lies before us. Time to act on all those resolutions you made a few weeks ago. While you’re at it, why not see your dentist in Chicago loop for an exam and cleaning? Doing this now will help to prevent cavities and other oral health problems later on.
Six Reasons to See Your Dentist Sooner Rather Than Later
Here are six reasons to make a dental appointment part of your upcoming plans:
- To stop oral health problems before they turn serious. This is about more than catching cavities. For example, mouth cancer can first express itself as what looks like a harmless blemish. It takes a dentist or other healthcare expert to say for sure.
- To remove plaque and tartar from your teeth. Brushing and flossing can control these substances. But removing them entirely takes a trained dental professional with the proper tools and knowledge.
- To make sure your coverage information is up-to-date. The only thing that stays constant about dental plans is they they’re always changing. Knowing the details about coverage limits and co-pays now can save you from an unwelcome surprise down the road.
- To stay up-to-date on the latest tips tooth care tips. Dental medicine is always advancing. Recommendations that made sense a few years ago have already been surpassed by newer and better methods. This applies just as much to your self-care as it does to professional treatment. The only way to benefit from this knowledge is to see your dentist on a regular basis.
- To set a good example for friends and family members. The best way to lead is by example. Seeing you making time for dental care will encourage your loved ones to do the same. This is especially true if you have younger children in your home. Kids naturally emulate the behavior they see in their parents or older siblings.
- To give yourself some much-needed peace of mind. Starting your year with a trip to your dentist will clear an important item off your plate, helping you to focus on other priorities going forward. There’s nothing like knowing that you’ve done something positive for yourself to give you the confidence needed to tackle other projects.
How Often Should You See Your Dentist?
The rule of thumb is to see your dentist every six months. A handy way to remember this is to time your appointments to the height of the seasons – January or February when winter is at its coldest and July or August when summer is at its hottest.
Please remember that this is a general guideline only. Your dentist may recommend more frequent visits for people who are managing certain conditions. For example, those with an inherited tendency towards dental problems may want to schedule visits for every 90 days or so. Your dentist can help you to tailor a dental care strategy that’s right for your needs.
A new year is the perfect time to lay the groundwork for future success. Seeing your dentist soon will set the tone for the rest of 2019, helping to make it your best year yet. We wish you and yours lots of happy smiles in the days to come.
About the Author
Dr. Joseph Ceisel has been practicing dentistry for almost 40 years. A graduate of the University of Illinois College of Dentistry, he is constantly upgrading his skills through ongoing training and education. You can reach his office online or by calling (312) 909-2839.