Store-bought teeth whitening products are big business. In fact, the global industry is estimated at a whopping 3.2 billion dollars! But while it’s easy to see the appeal of a bright, youthful-looking smile, the question is, “Do these products really work or are professional whitening options better?” In this blog, you’ll get the answer to that question and find out what your best bet is for safe, reliable teeth whitening in Chicago Loop.
Is Professional Whitening Better?
In a word: Yes! A professional option will give you better results for multiple reasons:
- It’s more concentrated – The Food and Drug Administration limits the concentration of over-the-counter products, so they simply aren’t as strong. With a professional choice, a dentist can choose from a variety of concentrations, depending on your oral health needs and cosmetic goals (e.g. lower concentrations are often used for people who get temporary cold sensitivity).
- It’s customized – Cosmetic dentistry isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach and each person’s teeth are unique. Professional treatments are planned with your individual needs in mind, not to mention that your trays are custom-made. This allows them to closely hug each tooth and give you a more precise application of whitening gel. This one factor alone makes them more effective than strips from the store.
- You’ll have professional guidance – Some patients have certain dental conditions that make other treatments a better choice (e.g. worn or sensitive teeth, extensive fillings or crowns, or enamel defects). You don’t want to invest in something that doesn’t work great the first time. With a dentist’s guidance, you’ll get the results you want from the start.
What Are Your Options For Professional Whitening?
Below are two great choices, both of which will whiten your teeth significantly. The main difference is how quickly they work:
- In-office whitening – Have an upcoming event that you want to look your best for? This procedure gives you fast, dramatic results in just one visit that takes 1-2 hours.
- Take-home trays – This option is more gradual and requires wearing custom-made trays filled with whitening gel for 30-60 minutes for 10-14 days.
If you’d like to know more about which one is right for you, schedule a consultation with a cosmetic dentist in Chicago Loop who can evaluate your needs.
There’s nothing like having a white, beautiful smile to boost your confidence. With professional treatments, you’ll get better results in less time. Talk about a win-win situation!
About the Author
Dr. Joseph Ceisel is a general and cosmetic dentist in Chicago Loop with decades of experience and a graduate of the University of Illinois. He’s seen firsthand how whitening enhances his patients’ self-confidence, and he provides multiple professional options to fit everyone’s needs. If you have any questions about whitening, he can be reached via his website.